View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Maniac to your left.

Maniac to your left.
- I know this is a very difficult and abstract question. But I hope some of you pro's can help me.

I usually play no-limit cash games. But yesterday I played in a 10$ no-limit re-buy tourney. My table was pretty good; too much cold calling ye know. This table would be a dream to play in, if it was a normal cash game.
The problem was the player to my left, he was a maniac. Not a good player but not a very bad player (he was capable of folding). Every time he sensed a little weakness he would attack. Those players, as you all know, will fast be kicked out of the tourney or they will develop a large chip lead. Well, that was the situation with the player to my left, he had a large chip lead.

In the early stages of a tourney I play only very strong hands, or hands with a high bet-ability, like pairs or suited connectors. But this player made it impossible to play drawing hands, he would either bet preflop 4-5 times BB or postflop with at least the pot.

In a normal cash game I would just switch seats, but here I was stucked behind this player.

How do you handle those players?

How would you play medium strength hands like A9o or KTs? Normally I would never call 5*BB preflop because I know that I wouldn't call a pot raise if I got top pair with those hands.