View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: LC: One year ago (Stolen from STT Forum)

One year ago

Had won about two grand playing B&M 3/6 and 6/12. Started playing June '04, dropping a few hundred at first, then slowly getting better and running hot.

Had lost about a grand playing online 3/6.

Thought a grand was a ton of money to win or lose.

Had never played NL cash.

Had played a handful of $5 SNG's, barely any multis.

Had read a bunch of good poker books (all the standard 2+2 books), but at best I played formulaically, except I couldn't always remember the formula. I remember spending several hours trying to memorize which group hands were in and what positions I was supposed to play which groups in. I hope my game is more dynamic now.

Since

In January I resolved to keep better records, play according to a plan, with a real bankroll. I did, won a couple grand in January, lost it back and a little more in several overconfident/too aggressive/tilty B&M limit sessions, including a $750 6-12 loss that nearly made me quit. Lost some online too.

Started playing NL; live 1/2 against horrible players. Thought I was the [censored]. Started playing online NL over my bankroll. Won some, lost some. Started playing multis and bigger SNG's. Won a $50 MTT on pokerroom for 2K, had a few other mildly big cashes.

After a winning March and April, had a weekend in early May where I tilted a over a grand of profits in $50 SNG's and NL cash, playing all night Saturday. All that I had in the account. Said eff-it, deposited $108 dollars to play the Pokerroom Grand Prix Sunday evening, said I'll play my best, no tilt, and see what happens. Early in tournament won twice allin and dominated, built a stack, played the best middle and endgame I'd played up to that point. Went on to finish second for $5500.

I've since finished 2nd again in the GP, won the pokerroom 20K, won a couple 30+3's and 2 or 3 50+4's and a few smaller buyins. Made a bunch of final tables. Started playing PLO and PL08 and done ok, especially in tourneys. Play live NL cash and 10/20 limit when I get the chance. Find online ring games of all forms to be my Achilles Heel overall, but it's getting better. I've experimented with different styles and ways of playing hands and situations and I think I have learned something from it all, but too often zig when I should zag. Started reading andposting on 2+2 a few months ago and have enjoyed it a lot. Have learned alot and hope I have contributed something.

I could have a solid five-figure bankroll but I've invested basically all of my winnings, starting from scratch a few times, mostly because I don't think I'm good enough yet.

I've recently had a frustrating break even spell (and only break even because of a couple cash game wins) since winning one of the Pokerroom Dailies a few weeks ago and find myself tilting too often and playing too much. I just cashed everything out again and am going to take a break until 2006 when i'll start with a clear head, a PC to play at all the non-pokernetwork sites, pokertracker, and a plan in place to get to the next level.

Congrats to everyone on their accomplishments in 2005 and good luck in 2006.