View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Taking the coin-flip to get a monster stack?

I had a situation recently that was similar, but not quite the same.

I had KQs in late position, folded to me. Had about 15bb's with 90 left (225 paid), and raised 3x the bb. SB called it, then BB who I had seen push with 67s against someones raise pushed at me. His stack covered my stack, there were 9bb's in the pot, plus my 12 and his 12, so I decided to go for it to try to get a monster stack. SB ended up calling too, so there was 45bb's in the pot (monster pot at this stage in the tourney) that could potentially go to me if I win.

Turned out BB had 22, and SB had 66. I ended up losing the hand to a river 2, but had I won it, I would have covered the table by a large sum, and could have stolen my way to the final table easily.

I figured since I was already in the money, and calling this would give me the top stack in the tourney, and folding it would give me a stack that would be ok, but not safe, I decided to gambool with it and ended up having a favorable result preflop.

Alot of times close decisions like this, I tend to go with the decision that will give me an advantage on future hands, and would have even taken an underdog position with this hand.