View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics

"understanding statistics gives you the confidence to NOT tinker with your game when there is nothing wrong."

Tim, I think that's the most profound comment in this thread so far. The hard part is managing the information while you are accumulating a large enough sample to gain your confidence.

I think it's clear that you need several hundred SNGs before you "know," statistically, how well you are doing. But I think you can figure out whether or not you are winning much sooner than that. Do you usually have the best hand when significant portions of your stack go into the pot? If the answer is yes, then you are winning. You are winning even more if the few times your money goes in with the lesser hand you were there first and there was a significant chance that your opponnent would fold a better hand. (By the way, I'm pretty sure you can beat SNGs without ever bluffing. You can just beat them more by bluffing appropriately.)

Perhaps a log of significant hands would be a more helpful tool than a spreadsheet.

Play the right way,
Irieguy