Thread: Any cyclists?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Any cyclists?

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I am really leaning towards a road bike.
Under 1k unless that is a unrealistic expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of a road bike like you would a race car. They are expensive and tricky. If you haven't done a lot of riding or ever ridden a "real" road bike, it might be more difficult than you think. Also, road bikes have to really fit you or you will be doing more harm than good to your body. If you end up with one, make sure someone there is qualified to setup the bike with you and don't skip this process! They should watch you ride, see your cadence, leg movement, distance to the bars, body position, cleat position, etc. and know how to adjust these things for you.

$1k is very optimistic for a road bike, even with 105 components. For everything, the minimum buy-in is probably closer to $2k when you include the bike, pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing, pump (fill tires to 100-110 psi), flat repair kit, etc. You could probably get cheapie stuff and get it down to $1500, but it would be tough.

As for a deal, just buy it at the end of the season and get last years model for any type of bike. Personally, I wouldn't like to commute on a road bike especially if I had to carry anything with me. They are just not designed for that kind of thing, and are really meant for speed.