View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Update as a beginner...

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Sheridan!

Here's a question though...what is an adequate sample size to determine(maybe not determine, but get a feel) if your are a winning player? We all know that 5k is not enough...how about 15k? 30k? Where do we begin getting "an idea" of how we are doing? I know, 30k hands is nothing to someone who plays seriously for two or 3 years, but is that good enough to get a sample? I mean could we really expect a run of bad hands(or good hands) that lasted 30k hands, or will that give us a pretty good average of good and bad runs?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have over 100K hands in PT and I am not sure if I am a winning player. I think you need somewhere between 250k and 500k before you can start to make an honest assessment. Of course you can see trends in your play after 10-20k hands (PFR, VPiP, Aggression, etc.) that might indicate your potential, but getting caught up in stats has dangers.

Remember that we play a game that has a huge degree of luck involved. Of course there is skill, but do not discount the fact that someone can get more than their share of luck (either good or bad) for what seems like an extended period.

Focus on making correct decisions, then the results will take care of themselves.