View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: $109 tourney, T5s hand

[ QUOTE ]
yes the way ahead/way behind concept. Its important. learn it, live it, love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is one of those hands though. Jx has 9 outs on the flop and may pick up 3 more on the turn. when JT flops, there is a very good chance that villain has at least 4 outs with a gutshot, and it's a bad free draw to give, b/c if a K hits to give AQ the nuts, hero will (should) pay off with his stack.

[ QUOTE ]
If you check behind many times he will bet out the turn no matter what hits in order to try and take it down. I would then call the turn and either call or value bet the river. In this way you get the most out of him when he has nothing and lose the least when you're crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

checking behind here and then calling bets on the turn and river makes your hand vulnerable and also leaves money on the table. villain will stack off with a J here if you let him. it's true you save some chips when villain flops a monster, but i think your hand is strong enough to cross your fingers and get the chips in.

[ QUOTE ]
The other nice thing about this game is metagame considerations. If you check behind on the flop sometimes with good hands, you will discourage opponents from betting the turn when you check behind the flop with nothing. This situation can be very profitable because now you can check behind on the flop when your blind steals miss to avoid a possible c-raise. Then your opponent will be more likely to check the turn to you if he hasn't hit and you will be able to pick it up with even less risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suppose that's true, but i really want to be picking up my missed steals on the flop. i don't trust the table to be paying close enough attention to (and putting so much weight on) one hand that i'm going to start checking behind a lot of my misses. checking here and showing down later will make it tougher for me to execute my prefered play of winning my misses on the flop.