View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: River bet - AK unimproved

[ QUOTE ]
I keep seeing people not 3-betting from their BB HU, and don't fully understand it. Obviously it is for deception, but are we really making up for all the value we are missing preflop? Maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]
Scenario I: I 3-bet preflop and he calls. I autobet the flop.

Scenario II: I call preflop and checkraise his autobet.

Count the bets in each scenario. There is no lost value. The pot size is the same in each case and Villain must make a decision about my flop aggression.

What are the differences between the two approaches?

1. I don't have to checkraise in scenario II. If I don't like the flop I can fold or just call and save some money. Or I can play for more by calling and going for a turn checkraise or turn donk-3bet. Scenario II gives me extra options after I see the flop.

2. Some players don't autobet and scenario II may be a poor choice against them.

3. Scenario II is very deceptive. Even if Villain knows I do stuff like this he doesn't know what I have. Hands like Q8 and J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] greatly outnumber monsters. He has no idea what I'm doing here because I play so many hands the same way. Scenario II has strong Shania as part of an overall headsup blind defense strategy.

Note that if Villain decides to counter my checkraise strategy by giving random free cards on the flop I may throw a party to celebrate. His flop autobet is a huge moneymaker because I'm an unlucky player and most of my blind defenses are closer to J8 than AK.

So that's why the preflop is the way it is. But I posted this as a river hand.