View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Something to help others with variance

I got what you mean and knew it would be an issue. But really the article was pointing out that just a 17 hand swing in 1 week of playing 10,000 hands at 3/6 40 hours was enough to slide the average down a bit. I didnt want to make super complicated calculations for the readers. I felt what I wrote got the point through.

Even I was shocked at how few hands are needed to have a super session or a losing session. On top of that add player reactions and tilt. I feel that furthers the swing either way.

I know that when I am running real good at a table I have less bad luck. Thats why I always start $100 above the minimum. Players entering the table after I post more than the minimum will think Im a tough opponent.

It was hard to grasp this concept for me for a long time. While I had swings both ways it seemed more like downward as I struggled to make $$$.

Usually the next day I review my session, usually around 500 hands, I saw how many mistakes I made just on the obvious end of the spectrum. If I added all those little mistakes over the last year my income would have been considerably higher. I am sure thats how it is for many players. So I follow my article. I don't tilt anymore.

Ironically the last 6 sessions I played my 1st hand was a bad beat in all 6 sessions. Found myself down $150 within the hour, then made it all up within 2 hours 5 of those 6 sessions. Talk about swings.

I usually play 2 hours at a time. Usually 2 hours a day except on the weekends.