View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the election

1) Not gonna bother with the turnout figures. I'll wait for the dust to settle if everyone over there is gonna play guessing games.
2) I didn't know the U.N. was back in Iraq. They ran like whipped dogs with their tails tucked the moment there was a hint of violence pointed their way. I won't applaud the UN because the UN hasn't helped up until absolutely necessary so that the elections will be legitimate. UN gets a D minus from me.
4) Was the election held because/in spite of Bush? I don't know. I know one was held and that's what really matters in the end. Perhaps Bush et al were also wondering how the security situation would turn out and they may have been wanting to push this deadline further down the line, but I'm glad that didn't happen. The sooner the Iraqis start taking over the functions of their country, the better.
5) Iraq is a mess compared to whom? Europe was a pretty big mess after WWII as well. Cost us billions of dollars and millions of lives to get that mess solved. Compared to WWII, Iraq is in pristine condition.