View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the election

F"irst point is vague. What specific estimates are you referring to?"

The currennt estimates being bandied about are 60 percent of eligible voters, or about 8mn people. They're being talked about as fact when they people who came up with them , the Iraqi Electoral Commission, have admitted they are pure guesses.

"Third point is baloney. The U.S. trained Iraqi forces and were integral in providing security. Bush has been consistent with his keeping the election timetable since it was established."

Sorry, but that point about the security forces is baloney. The US forces can provide much better security than they can, and only around 12.000 are fully trained. Furthermore the security situation is much worse now than it was when Sistani first called for elections. Bush's electoral timetable is fairly recent, and it's true that plans have changed. One point I thought was interesting is that the US initially claimed they couldn't run early elections because the registration system Sistani suggested - using ration cards as the basis for electoral rolls - was unfeasible; yet in the end that's exactly what they did. I'm not saying the guy is right, but I'm not convinced by your refutation of his points. Which parts of his timeline specifically are you saying are untrue?