View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Appropriate PF raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Why? An A4 low is pretty crappy, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurto - Yes.

However, you have four cards in this game, not just two. I'm assuming Hero has a hand something like
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], which I think is actually a reasonably nice starting hand in a full game, better, for example, than A277n, A278n, A279n, A27Tn, A27Jn, A27Qn, and A27Kn. (n means "rainbow")

Card Sharp didn't specify limit play or pot limit play. My answer is for limit play. (Pot limit, from my perspective, has entirely different considerations).

Heads-up against a random hand, A45Ks= (my way of designating this particular hand for my files) is 59 to 41.
Thus it's a very nice heads-up starting hand.

I'm assuming from the way the post was written that everybody has folded except the button, and thus Hero has a chance, by raising, to get one-on-one. The button probably doesn't exactly have a random hand, but even so, A45Ks= is very decent one-on-one.

I think you probably don't want to be out of position in a pot-limit game with any hand, but acting first in a limit game with A45Ks= is not as big a disadvantage as in pot-limit. Heads-up in a limit game, I'd probably bet the flop almost regardless and go from there.

That's more than you asked.

Bottom line, yes, A4 is a pretty crappy pre-flop low combination in a full game, but A45Ks= is very playable in either a full limit game or one-on-one in a limit game. I'm going to see the flop with it all day long, and probably play the hand aggressively.

Just my opinion.

Buzz