View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: I guess it\'s time to get it all in -- flop bluff

I will also say that the one benefit of going ahead and pushing all-in on a stone bluff is being able to advertise it.

Many of us here make overbet pushes for value but NEVER (as in absolute never ever ever) overbet pushes on bluffs. This is for good reason. Our opponents on Party certainly don't like to go to bed wondering, and those overbets for value work out great. If you are playing someone that is observant of your game at all though, you will cease to get action in these situations.

In a situation like this where the overbet bluff is only $50-60 extra in an already big pot, it may be worth it to go ahead and overbet it and show (a la Spirit Rock). It's rare and shocking to see this sort of play at a table. And people certainly do take notice. The certainly don't want to be the next guy that folds and shown 5 high.

If other players at the table are deep with you, they may not fold any piece of the board on the flop, and you can make some pretty sick value overbets with an overpair, TPTK, etc.

I had a confrontation with the same villain later on in the evening.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($125.15)
Button ($189.55)
Hero ($234.10)
BB ($93.60)
UTG ($14.02)
MP ($301.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $7</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($16) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $226.10 (All-In), BB calls $85.60 (All-In).

Turn: ($327.70) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($327.70) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $327.70

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh Qs (flush, queen high).
BB has Ad Js (flush, jack high).
Outcome: Hero wins $327.70. </font>

This obviously isn't the best example because he only had half a buy-in. But had I for example raised an AK at this table and had the flop come A74 rainbow. I would have just gone ahead and stuck it all in on the flop for $200. People just aren't going to fold AJ there.