View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Dreams in other languages?

German was my first language, and I was speaking full sentences at a year old, but I gradually started forgetting it around grade school. Two years of it in high school didn't help much, yet somehow I can still sometimes understand a bit of conversation. Still, mostly all I've got now is flawless pronunciation from my mother's speaking it with my aunts.

A few times, I've dreamed I was my grandfather back in Germany, just doing ordinary day to day things, walking down the street, buying some bread at a baker, having lunch, etc. I spoke fluent German then, and my dream was full of German speech. Even dreaming, I had a feeling of amazement at how fluent my German was!

I also dreamed I was visiting him as a kid in Germany(which I never have), and we walked around town doing stuff. Again, flawless German in copious amounts.

It was funny, I felt like something was "switched on" in my head and that I really had access to much more of my brain and memory during those dreams; like the knowledge was definitely still there and I had actual full, easy access to it.