View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: 10/20 TT Calldown

[ QUOTE ]
Calling down with TT is a bad play because you are not giving AK a chance to fold. If he spikes an A or K on the river like this hand, you will lose. I think you must get a raise in on the flop or turn. Personally, I would raise the flop and call a 3-bet. If Villian calls my raise on the flop, I will bet when checked to on the turn. If Villian 3-bets my raise on the flop, I will raise his bet again on the turn and fold to a 3-bet. If he just calls my raise, I will check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really dont see what any aggressive line will accomplish in this HU situation. I really dont see what a flop raise will accomplish if youre just gonna call down if the villain 3 bets. I know you didnt actually call down, instead you raised the turn, which is the equivalent of calling down since its the same 2BB investment.

Before you raise this flop, you need to ask yourself this question. If my opponent 3 bets me, am I gonna still invest 2 more big bets in this hand? If the answer is yes, then this flop raise is gonna cost you alot of money in the long run since far too often you are going to get 3 bet and be drawing to 2 outs. This bad event will happen enough times that it will more than cancel out those lucky times that you raise the flop and your oppoenent calls with his 6 outer and he proceeds to miss his 6 outer on the turn or river if he goes to the river.
Poker is a game of maximizing and minimizing. To be simplistic, when we have the advantage we may maximize by raising or calling to slow play. When we are at a disadvantage we may maximize by calling or folding. This situation with TT to me is a clear minimizing situation, I believe the hero will save more money in the long run by just calling down, then he can possibly make by raising on any street to extract some kind of value out of this hand.

The exception to this situation is if the hero can safely fold if the villain 3 bets the flop or turn. If this is the case, then raising is better than calling since raising gives us ironclad information that we can use to make a good fold. If that were the case I would raise the flop and if the villain 3 bet, I would call one more small bet and fold the turn unimproved. Or maybe I would call the flop and raise the turn to put pressure on AK, if I knew the villain would only 3 bet me with a better hand. But with no read on how the villain plays postflop, I believe calling down is the best move.

I hope you can understand that raising this flop and calling a 3 bet and investing 2 more big bets in this hand is a losing proposition. Just calling down in this situation will easily make more money in the long run than your line just from all the money you save when your trailing.