View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Speeding and punishment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if proper care is taken then i would argue that drugs are not wrong (this would mean restraining yourself then shooting up)

[/ QUOTE ]

What, did you see one of those propaganda videos of cocaine-crazed lunatics running around attacking people, raping women, and wreaking general havoc?

What I meant by "proper care" is that when using recreational substances, one must be careful that they don't use them too often and allow them to take over their lives, because the effects on the people close to them could be devestating.

[ QUOTE ]
but speeding would be dangerous and wrong although minutely

[/ QUOTE ]

If they passed a law that reduced the speed limit on a particular highway from 65 to 55, and that law takes effect on Sunday, then driving 65 on that highway would be safe and right on Saturday , but dangerous and wrong on Monday?

Whatever arbirary speed limit the government decides to impose doesn't dictate what's safe. Weather, traffic conditions, car type, driving skill, and the general features of a particular strech of road do.

[/ QUOTE ]

please..you have to admit at least some irrational behavior can be expected from a person using drugs or alcohol

by my commen,t i only meant that a person using drugs (responsibly) can be held to only harming himself rather than speeding which cannot be guaranteed not to harm someone else... and this is not with respect to speed limits, i mean excessive speeds for the area such as 60 mph in a residential area