Thread: New Goals
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: New Goals

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it won't influence you, but if you're currently playing at a limit over .10/.20 I strongly suggest that you start the challenge at that limit. I know it lessens the enormous-looking feat of turning $40 into $10k or whatever, but you may not have the will to make it through all of those micros if you're used to 1/2.

I'm saying this because I decided to take the Prima $10 challenge - turn the free $10 into a bankroll - which a bunch of people have done. But making under 50 cents an hour while playing against opponents who probably aren't even paying attention to the game just isn't something I want to be doing for 280 hours (multitabling) until I get up to $150 to start .25/.50.

In my case, I'm going to deposit $250 and play .25/.50 knowing that there is very little chance, no matter how bad a player I am, that I'm going to lose more than my $100 bonus before I reach the raked hands requirement and get it. (In fact, I expect I'll be able to play winning poker, but I'm being conservative). And of course knowing that if I do lose money beyond the bonus it won't bother me that much.

I'm telling you all this because if you expect to be pulling down big bucks at 10/20 in a year, you're probably already better than me, so don't play .10/.20.

Why not try turning $600 into $30k? that sounds impressive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. Moving up the limits is overrated. Start with a limit that you are comfortable and bankrolled for, and start making money and becoming a better poker player. That might be .25/.50, or maybe 2/4. But otherwise you are wasting your effort on a task with very little return.