View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Multitabling....necessary?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably worrying for the sake of worrying, it just seems like everybody except me is playing at LEAST 2 tables.

I guess just like full ring, short handed will eventually get easier to me, and I'll slowly be able to add.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way for a long time when I first started playing 6-max late in the summer. I had read all of the posts saying that if you want to move up to 3/6 or above you HAVE to learn how to play in shorthanded situations. So, I bit the bullet and forced myself to play nothing but 6-max. For a long time I just couldn't adjust. I would go on one or two day winning streaks, and then give it all back in a 2 hour session. It was miserable, but I kept reading posts and applying what I learned, and eventually it started to click.

What worked for me, (and sometimes I still do this if I'm not feeling totally focused yet) is to start each session with only one table. Play for 2 or 3 orbits until you feel comfortable with basic reads of your opponents, and then add one more table. It seems like once your brain has settled into one table then adding another doesn't seem as hectic as adding two or more at once. At my current stage I am starting my sessions with 2 tables and adding a third after 20 minutes or so. It's working pretty well so far.

A few weeks ago, I thought I would sit down and play some 10-max for old times sake. Man, I can't believe how slow and boring it seems now. Trust me, 4 or 5 months of exclusive shorthanded play will make a convert out of you. The only 10-handed games I play now are in NL tournaments.

Good luck.

Edit: For the condensed version, see Trix's post below [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]