View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: setting up a \"poker season\" at home and would like some advice

You should come over to the Home Poker forum with this type of post.

I am winding up my first tournament season, here is what I have planned.

My point system is:
7 points- finish in bottom half of non-cash positions
10 points- finish in top half of non-cash positions (up to the bubble)
15 points- any cash spots below 3rd
20 points- 3rd place prize
25 points- 2nd place prize
35 points- winner

to compensate for smaller tournaments, I subtract points from the top three places (-5 if only 3 places paid, -10 if only 2 places paid)

We only have 7 tournament nights in the first year, so I will make a single-table championship tournament of 11 players- all of the tournament winners, then fill in seats with highest remaining point totals.

To reward performance during the year, I'm multiplying each player's points totals by 5 and then by the tournament nights (or PT x 5 x TN) for a starting chip stack value.
Then I'm adding equal chips to everyone so that the lowest qualifier gets T10,000 and higher point totals get more. Right now, that would give the points leader about T13500, not a insurmountable lead.

I'd go with Option 4: I didn't pull money from tournaments to fund the year-end pool, maybe next year. If I did as you did, I would probably use the money as an add-on to the prize pool that results from the players buy-ins to the final tournament, to build some real money.
Even a freeroll for all who qualify would be better than paying out money to some players- they all benefited already in cash by winning tournaments during the year, why get rewarded again without effort?

Hope that gives you some ideas to work with.
LL