View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Animal pain, suffering, and death: why does it matter?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

SDM,

Whew. You are correct in your statement above. If the entire race ends and no-one finds any record of us then nothing will matter in the end. But what does that have to do with mattering while we are alive - and with the original post. The fact that in the ultimate end we may never matter is not enough reason for me to not have things matter to me now. I do not live in the future but the present. Once I die, and everyone who knew me dies, it will be as if I never existed (maybe I didn't). But, that does not influence me what-so-ever in everyday life (should it)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's how it applies:

In my illustration above, Caesar lived a life of great power, &amp; great pleasure, SDM lived a life of no power, &amp; little pleasure. Both interacted with the world around them and both at times helped and hurt others by their actions - yet they both end up in the same place in death, thus their actions in life are futile.

Caesar's life &amp; SDM's life, while both vastly different, could be described by that famous phrase "All roads lead to Rome", with "Rome" meaning death in this case.

Thus whether a Chicken lives free range or is couped up in battery cages means nothing, in the end the chicken will die, and will not remember whether it spent it's days in the sun roaming around freely, or whether it was confined to a claustrophic environment.

The same could be said of humans; In the end Barry Greenstein with his donations to charity to improve the lives of impoverished children and Hitler with his answer to the "Jewish Problem" both go that "never ending sleep" having no identity, &amp; no memory - equals in sleep, equals in death.