View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Saving areas from oil exploration - realistic?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I note that the price to recover oil in Saudi Arabia and Iraq is between $2 and $3 a barrel if memory serves.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's a bit on the low end, if my memory serves me that would be the cost to lift the oil, then there are additional costs to actually get the oil anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comparing the production costs cited for ANWR with similar costs for Middle East OPEC nations. I'm fairly certain that the poster I responded to is citing ANWR costs to lift the oil but not certain.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Improving the effeciency and cost of current technologies that utilize oil will tend to reduce the demand for oil due to less consumption.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any proof of this? Because everything I've read on the issue has stated otherwise. The whole Jevons "paradox " thing. The more efficient we become in using a certain energy source the more of it we use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how this could be the case. However, I think it's fair to say that the post that I responded to is assuming that improving the effeciency and cost of current technologies will lead to less oil consumption. If that assumption is correct ... The idea I'm challenging is that reducing the rate of consumption of oil in the US will make the US less dependent on OPEC oil sources in the Middle East. The idea is based on the erroneous notion that all producers produce at the same cost and it's not true. Whether citizens in the USA like it or not as things stand now, the USA is dependent on OPEC oil imports and will continue to be dependent on OPEEC oil imports in order to fuel gasoline powered vehicles irregardless of the rate of consumption. A tariff that specifically targets OPEC oil would change the dynamic but I don't support such a thing.