View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part I

I've recently gone for it and I think your article is wrong in a couple of respects.

1. chances of making it.

[ QUOTE ]
My current position can be summarized fairly succinctly. Don't quit your day job unless you:

1. Play very well
2. Fully understand what you will gain and lose
3. Are willing to take very large risks
4. Can handle the emotional roller coaster
5. Are willing and able to make some huge changes in your attitudes and lifestyle

[/ QUOTE ]

Later on you suggest that thwe odds against making it are 20:1 or worse. I only claim to be able to play reasonably well but give myself 10/10 on the others. I just don't believe its any near 20:1 against an online pro making it - if you have discipline, a decent bankroll and many 100,000's of hands beating the game for enough (as any would be pro should have) then you're a very decent bet to make it. Your 20:1 may be true for a live pro, I dunno about that.

2. It's a Dreary Life

Maybe, but you obviously like your job. I had a great job in many peoples eyes but I hated it and I'm not the only one. I think you ignore the fact that many people will not be happy working a normal day job and for them poker pro is a great option if they can hack it.

3. It's Extremely Unhealthy

I used to get up when I was tired, commute for 1-2 hours in a polluted environment, sit in front of a computer all day, commute for another 1-2 hours and go to bed just when I started feeling wide awake.

Now I get up when I wake up, walk to the spare room, sit at a computer all day and go to bed when I'm tired.

Has anyone done any studies on the corrolation between being waken up from a deep sleep by an alarm clock and life expectancy?

Just some thoughts. I'm not claimimg its an easy life and would advise anyone against it until they have played enough to dismiss 300BB downswings as mearly very very annoying, but I think you present a bit of a one-sided case.

chez