View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:38 PM

Default The rest of the hand

By the time I was posting this hand, I had decided my turn call was too loose. But Shill says otherwise, so I'm bumping the thread.

Anyway, here's the whole hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds.

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

When SB bet the turn, I spent nearly my entire allotted time trying to figure out what to do. I worried about a raise behind me, but I thought I'd regret folding if there were calls behind me instead. Finally, I gave up on figuring out what was best and called.

In retrospect, I do think that unless someone behind me had slowplayed the flop, the turn card wasn't that likely to improve someone to a raising hand. Also, someone with a jack quite likely would have a pair or an overcard to go with it and might've bet the flop. I don't know how much I need to worry about hands like A6; possibly that hand would fold to SB's turn bet anyway, though (but I don't think I should count on that). What I'm hoping for with a call is for people with hands that don't interfere with my outs to call as well. But this kind of situation, where I have two separate one-card straight draws, doesn't come up very much, and after the hand I began thinking my turn call had been too optimistic.