View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Trying to learn PLO

I think the truth is somewhere in between what sherbert and aces are saying.

One one hand, looking at the all-in equity of the hands is misleading because much of the kings' equity comes from making hands on the later streets when the flop wasn't good enough to call. It also makes a big difference if you know you will be heads-up against the aces: if you flop an 8-out straight draw with your KKT8ss you can be pretty sure your ten outs are good. In a three- or four-way pot you often won't have the best draw, and you'll sometimes lose even if you flop two pair or trips. In a multiway pot I'd want odds close to what acesover8s is talking about. The poster is also sandwiched between the raiser and anyone else who comes in.

On the other hand, if you're not getting great odds but know the pot will be heads-up you can sometimes call liberally with decent kings. It helps a lot if the raiser will check and fold when the board comes down scary. I've played with guys who raise every time with aces and shut down after the flop unless they hit another, but online most guys just throw their money in.