View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Intentionally tabling cards - exposing cards in a tournament

Here’s a similar situation from a home game last night that I’m cross posting here because this thread came up in my search.

One table tournament - 6 players left
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Dealer Calls, SB completes, BB checks
Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, Dealer Calls, SB folds
Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Dealer checks
River A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB goes all-in
The dealer thinks for a minute and then tables K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and says, “I think this two pair is good. I don’t think you slow played the flush and I don’t believe you’ve got AK or you would have come out stronger pre-flop. I call”. SB mucks and concedes pot.

Other players at the table felt that Dealer tabling his cards to get a read on BB was a questionable manuever. Nothing in the home rulebook (RRoP) addressed this issue.

From the TDA Rules:
“6. Penalties: A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, if a card(s) goes off the table, if softplay occurs, or similar incidents take place.”

“36. A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed.”

Does anyone know what the spirit/reasoning behind these rules is?

The players were heads-up and this didn’t influence anyone else’s betting since there was no more action. So what do you think: was this an angle shoot, a rule violation, or a good play?