Thread: Poker goals
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Poker goals

Hiya CCC,

Excellent post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hrmmm ... my goals? Win the remaining 12 WPT events if 2004, and be the first woman to win the WSOP (in 2004), then retire to a Mediterranean island with a yacht and a lifetime supply of Necco wafers (which look an awful lot like poker chips, come to think of it)....

Seriously, my goals are relatively straightforward: by the end of 2004, I'd like to be earning a consistent $2K/month playing poker. I think that's an attainable goal for me, and it would be a nice second income to my primary income as a novelist.

(Shameless Self-Promotion: SOMETHING DEADLY, our latest suspense release, made #35 on the NYTimes Bestseller List, and spent two weeks on the USA TODAY Bestseller List. This was our first time on the NYT List. YAYYYY!!)

So ... how do I do that? (The $2K/month from poker, not the NYT list.) Well, three things:

(1) Like CCC, I want to get a better grasp of the unusual odds situations. I know the common ones, as do most of us, but I'm just now starting to memorize the common but more complex cases, e.g.: filling with a set at the flop (~1:2), or pair-plus-four vs. overpair-overkicker (~1:1). Pokernum at twodimes.net is wonderful for this, as I can run a bunch of comparisons and see how a suit or rank change (in either hand) affects the odds.

(2) Again, like CCC, keep better records. Right now I keep a poker journal, not with specific day-by-day results but as a way to "think out loud" about how I'm playing and why. I think PokerTracker or PokerStats may be helpful in helping me refine this, and it's also good for bookkeeping I'm told.

(3) Keep reading here, and observing better players.

And that's really about it, for me. Nothing fancy. Just win more money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris