Thread: PL triple draw
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 02:17 AM

Default PL triple draw

GamesGrid has a PL Triple Draw Lowball tournament tomorrow (today?) -- Saturday -- at 3pm, looks like it's sponsored by people from the Something Awful forum ("GSOP Offseason".) From what I can gather, it's not going to run because it got set up too late; the password was never posted.

But I'm curious, any ideas how to play this game?

HU against an opponent who is making pot-sized bets, you will only have immediate odds to draw if he's got a J and you've got a 1-card draw to a 7. So obviously a lot of the play is going to revolve around getting paid off or making plays at the pot rather than straight value, which I think is the core of solid limit TD play.

OTOH, a rough pat hand faces a serious dilemma on the middle two rounds of betting; he can't afford to give his opponent free cards, but a decent-sized bet is going to give better implied odds for the previous draws.

My instincts would be to stick with one-card draws to an 8 or better as starting hands, but only be willing to chase for two draws, since you will most likely get paid off on the 3rd round, not the 4th--- thus you usually won't have odds to take the third card vs. a big bet. But then this allows for an observant opponent to make numerous 3rd round bets, etc.

The amount of information you don't have here is scary. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Perhaps I just don't understand big-bet poker.

I wonder if there is any insight from PL Razz? Or is that just as confusing/annoying a game?