View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Looking for beta testers for a new poker training software product

That's a very good point I haven't yet factored in... if indeed you're at a table in a late round (say, the turn or river), it's very unlikely that the 'unknown' hands (or opponents) have average hands (assuming they are playing sensibly). While the pot odds are still valid, we can generally make some assumptions about the quality of the opponent hands based on their being in this far.

The more common way this is put is: the pot odds are in your favor, but you can predict from the betting (or opponents past betting) that they still have you beat (i.e. they have the nuts), hence fold instead of calling.

This is one of many subjective factors I'd like to account for (another somewhat less subjective one is implied odds, which I have wrestled with a lot in terms of how to include it somehow).

By the 'position' observation, do you mean only on pre-flop rounds, or also post flop? Do note that each opponent hand is labelled 'in' or 'undecided', which gives a more accurate position marker than your actual starting position. In the documentation, I quote the example of being in the big blind (which is late position), but the small blind raises... this really makes your position (from the POV of system betting) early now, assuming there are callers yet to decide again. The 'in/undecided' indicators reflect this in PDM. But if I've misunderstood your question, please let me know.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback... I am very interested to get peoples' feedback, and incorporate changes where/when possible.

Dan Pronovost
dan@deepnettech.com
www.PokerDrillMaster.com