View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Rando Question : Existence

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my spare time for the past week, I've been contemplating the idea of existence, specifically trying to come up with a reasonably accurate definition of existence. Of course various philosophies will have differing opinions of what exists and what does not exist, but what are they/we supposing this word is or defining it as exactly?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a pretty big body of work by a man called Plato that tries to define existence.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Also.

My preference is Parmenides

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about Plato. Not necessarily because he was "correct", but to understand Heidegger, I am pretty sure you have to understand Plato. But, it is like that with most philosophy. Like the "cool kids" who read Nietzsche. There is no way to understand it without knowing all the philosophers before him. And even then, it is hard as hell, because he had such knowledge of literature as well.

craig

p.s. Off Topic-- One person told me that I shouldn't read Heidegger because he was a Nazi and never apologized for taking Husserl's position. And that I am being a "bad jew" by reading it. I wish I could remember the technical name of this type of fallacy.