View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: I know this is bad, but right now i\'m doing it. Flame me.

Bob, do whatever you need to do to maximize your EV. Obviously the best solution to your problem is to not tilt even if you are running bad.

However, I see nothing wrong with your technique of stopping while you are ahead if you are in period where you are heavily doubting your abilities and are especially prone to tilt. If this helps reduce your tilt, then by all means do it until you regain your confidence. Then stop doing it.

I think most people underestimate how much tilt reduces their winrates. A lot of people, myself included, figure "well yea I'm tilting but I'm normally a solid winner so my play should be +EV still." Often times it is not. Furthermore, if you're playing on tilt at, say, a 0.5 BB/100 level you will have a MUCH greater likelihood of a bad session or bad downswing which will further compound your tilt! It is my understanding that variance increases exponentially as your winrate decreases (it might not be exponentially but i'm pretty sure it's not linear).

In summary, until you can get to the root of the problem, I think your technique is quite reasonable.

A suggestion: don't look at your cashier or pokertracker more than once a week. IF you multitable you probably won't even know if you are up or down and can be more objective!