View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Legality of selling open source software

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think this really pertains to the tech forum, but what is the legality of selling open source software (that runs on linux). The way I understand it, I can sell it for whatever I want as long as I include the source code?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can sell it. The problem is that you have to make the source available to anyone you sell it to and they are free to do whatever they want with it. Also, since I assume you'd be downloading it for free from somewhere, the people who buy it from you would also be able to download it for free from the same place, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course, but I found a really nice program, that I can setup up a remote view/web based etc closed circuit Tv system, and a few of hte restuarants I work for asked me to put something together for them, so the way I figure, I can save myself about 500$, in software cost, because I have the knowledge to get mysql/linux/this software up and running, and I can pocket that money...most of the more robust software that controls these cameras and stuff go for like 1k-1500. And most of the owners, dont have hte time/experience/brains, to do much with the software...so I guess Im charging mroe for my time than anything...