View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain whats going on in Deadwood?

I'll take a stab at it...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

1. What's Francis Wilcott's purpose in the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is buying up mines for the Hearst company. He recruited Cy Toliver (sp?, Powers Booth) to scare the townspeople into thinking that the state was going to take away the mining claims so that the Hearst company (through Toliver) can get them at a discount.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why did he kill those prostitutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a psycho.

[ QUOTE ]

2. What was Swearengan talking to Bullock about at the end of the last episode?

[/ QUOTE ]

He talked Bullock into being Sherrif. He didn't particularly like Bullock, but at least he could trust him.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Does Bullock's brother's wife know that Bullock and Mrs. Garrett were knocking boots? Is that why she was all pissy last episode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. She figured it out when Garrett came to greet them. The referenced it in the last episode when Mrs. Bullock dropped in on Mrs. Garrett.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Why did that guy (forget his name) ask Mrs. Garrett to marry him? Is it because it wasn't acceptable back then to have a kid out of wedlock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Trixie suggested it to him a few episodes ago. It probably wasn't scarlet-letter bad to have a kid out of wedlock, but it wasn't good. And it would complicate the situation with the Pinkertons (her late husband's family who want to frame her for murder).

[ QUOTE ]

5. What is "Yankton".

[/ QUOTE ]

The capital claiming jurisdiction over Deadwood. I'm guessing it's the capital of Montana at the time.

[ QUOTE ]

6. Who is the Chinese guy with the Chinese prostitues and what role does he have in the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems to be related to Wilcott, Hearst, and Toliver in some way. He's competing with Woo (who is allied with Swerengen) for leadership of the Chinese in town. I have been waiting for the story here to unfold more, but I may have missed something.

[ QUOTE ]

I love the show but because of the speech that's used it's sometimes hard to figure out what's being said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this get more flowerly since last season? I remember some people talking like that in formal circumstances last season, but I don't remember it from casual conversations. I gotta go back and rewatch last season though.