View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

Taking someone else's life should not be taken lightly. For the longest time I have always been a believe in strict gun laws. I thought that only cops should have access to guns. But guns will always be available to the public, whether it be legally or in the black market. But I'm getting off topic. The only scenario in which someone is justified in taking another's life is in self-defense. I think this is obvious. In the situation that I was in I certainly would have been legally clear to kill that guy. Now morally justified? That is a different story. Here I am after the incident still alive. What if that night I pulled a gun out of my pillow and shot the guy in the back as he was loading up my belongings? Was my life in such a danger that pulling the trigger was nessesary? I don't believe so. Someone posted something to the effect of avoiding risks that involve losing your life. That's a very good argument. This guy broke into my house and threatened me with a life. Clearly my chance of surivial was -EV when that happened, and maybe that alone justified taking a life. Some would argue that when he wielded a knife, entered my room, and threatened my life, he then lost his right to live. Perhaps. Again I still struggle with my original question.