Thread: 5stud
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 5stud

[ QUOTE ]
The game is 1/2, .50 ante, .50 bringin. Yeah, the structure is bad, but the players are even worse, so it's okay. Example: My hand is (T)TJJJ, and a flush caps me on the river.

Basic notes I have:

Auto raise high card. -- Not always, sometimes just call

Auto bet high until you get played back at. -- If you can beat everything in sight bet your hand.

Not sure what to do with hidden high cards, really. Tag along, untill you see an open pair. Broadly speaking try to have a high live card in the hole.

With the ante, I do play stuff like QT even with an A and a K showing...think it's okay if I can dump on 3rd/4th. -- Yes, the ante is big, traditional 5stud advice is way too tight.

I've found that being deceptive with a pair is more valuable than raising with it...silly thinking? -- Big pots happen when small pairs start raising early.

Never, ever bet your board on 5th. I see people doing this all the time. You can do this in Big-bet 5stud, at limit you will be called if beat.

Always pay off on 5th. Not sure about this, but I have caught some people bluffing. I think this is one of the biggest profit centers; if you can bring yourself to fold when you know they have it. But do you become a target then?

-- Not really. remebr you do typically have ods to suck out if you have an underpair.

I realize this would get me killed in a tough game, but what about a really loose, passive one?

The right play is a function of the ante's and the players. Personally I quit the 5stud games since the swings are huge.