View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: to all you mathematicians/game theorists

[ QUOTE ]
Read the SNG forum and learn ICM math. You don't need any special game theory training to beat party SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, he's not necessarily asking how to beat Party SNG's. It's possible that he's just interested in thinking about game theory as it applies to poker, and is wondering how much he'd have to learn to be able to apply it in some form to SNG's. And it's not as if it isn't applicable if you're looking in the right spots.

EDIT: I'm not sure about a modern reference. I started reading von Neumann and Morganstern's classic book on the subject a while ago. It seems informative, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you have some reasonable mathematical background, not so much because you need anything specific as you just need to be accustomed to the style of argumentation and presentation. There has to be something better than this. I know Dover publishes a few cheap paperbacks on game theory, I might start looking there figuring that if it's not helpful, at least it wasn't too expensive.