View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: How much information about poker strategy is really available?

I've asked myself this same question many times. I'd read about how Ted Forrest would crush stud games by playing hands no one else would dream of and playing them fast, and I'd feel like there was some secret that guys like Ted knew and I didn't. And Sklansky wasn't sharing.

However, I think that a big difficulty in learning poker from books is that they necessarily try to whittle the poker universe down to set, manageable situations, while the majority of tough decisions made at the table are situational. I have heard TJ Cloutier say on a few occasions that he never knows what he'll do with a given hand until he has it...and he's written several books. How can he give you "the secret" to playing AK if he himself doesn't know how he'll play it ahead of time?

I think it boils down to the massive experience these guys have, plus their absolute dedication to the game. I think the only common theme I've found in reading biographies of successful players is that they say something along the lines of, "I'd get cleaned out and spend the rest of the week thinking about the hands I played." Earlier in his career, Daniel Negreanu would go to the final tables of tournaments to meticulously study the play there. Things like that, combined with various natural talents (like TJ being able to remember the styles of anyone he's ever played with), are as close to a secret as I've found.

I do agree, however, that most revolutionaries in any given field become revolutionary by acting differently than anyone before them. You can see this in poker by looking how Chip Reese introduced a new style of stud hi/lo play to Vegas, or how Doyle revolutionized hold 'em. I've spent a great deal of time thinking about hands and styles, and trying to figure out a successful way to play that was completely new and unique. So far, no luck. I think the problem there might be the whole "genius" thing that I seem to lack.

Anyway, I think my answer in a nutshell to your question in a nutshell is: yes, we have all the pieces to the puzzle, but unfortunately the picture on the box keeps changing.