Thread: Underaged Poker
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Underaged Poker

You wrote: "Bad news for those who don't truly understand the consequences of their actions. I for one would love to back legislation to stop underage individuals from playing through security checks and what not. I like that idea and eventually it will likely happen rather than an all out ban on internet poker."

You have raised two issues that merit serious discussion. First, do young people truly understand the consequences of their actions? The legislatures and courts have very clearly said, "NO!"

In fact, children under certain ages are regarded as "legal infants," and they are not held fully responsible for certain actions. For example, they can't drink or gamble legally, can get out of contracts, or can be tried in juvenile courts. The Supreme Court just decided that they can't be executed for murder precisely because they are seen as less responsible for their actions.

As a psychologist I believe that the lawmakers and judges got this one right. Young people generally do not have the ability to understand the consequences of their actions, and virtually every civilization in history has tried to protect them from their own immaturity.

The claims that "I can play better than adults" may or may not be true, but they are irrelevant. As anyone who has spent much time in poker rooms will know, skill is NOT the most important factor determining results. We all know talented players who are often broke because they lack judgment about their abilities, can't resist the challenge of playing above their own level, love to play craps, or have other "immature" leaks. And they are adults! Young people have even less control.

The second issue has implications for us all. There are extremely powerful people and organizations that want to outlaw online poker. Every time some kid loses a great deal of money it gives them more ammunition, and you can be certain they will use it.

Because I play for royalvegaspoker.com and love our game, I don't want to increase the threats to online poker (which can also affect B&M games). We are having history's greatest poker party; let's not screw it up.

My recommendation is therefore unambiguous: If you know of anyone underage who is playing online, do whatever you think is appropriate to stop him. I will leave the meaning of "appropriate" to you.

Regards,

Al