View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Blind Defense 10/1

Your opponent doesn't have to make a mistake for you to benefit. When you're a favorite to win the hand, any chips that go into the pot are beneficial to you. So he can correctly call, but you have the most equity in every chip that goes in, if he is in fact on a draw.

I'll probably take a some flack for that statement, but I think this is a clear example of where cash game play deviates from tourney play. When you bet enough for him to make an error by calling, you're also risking a much more significant portion of your stack. In addition, the larger the pot is, the more willing he will be to call, because he's already put in a lot of chips. Losing the hand hurts him a lot, winning helps him a lot.

This is a pot you'd like to win, but you don't want to commit a lot of chips in doing so. I think the best thing to do is try to get as cheap a showdown as possible. If he has pot/implied odds to call (which I think you need better odds than normal, because losing half your stack in a tourney is way worse than losing half your stack in a cash game), whatever...you may not be swearing by the fundamental theorem, but you also won't be crippled 20%+ of the time.

Commit lots of chips when you know you're a big favorite.