View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Variance problem/question for analysis

I normally post in STT, but I feel like you guys might be better equipped to answer this question (no offense to STT).

Over in the land of SitNGos, 500 tourneys is considered a good benchmark for determining your skill at any particular level buyin. After 500, positive and negative variance is thought to have evened out sufficiently enough to give an accurate picture of what your ROI can be long term (assuming you don't improve, etc.)

This benchmark, however, is for 10 person sitNgos, with top 3 paid (50%/30%/20%).

Here's the question:
What would be a good benchmark, or another way to ask: how long would it take for variance to even out (for the most part), if the sit and go was only 6 people with the same top 3 payout (50%/30%/20%)?

I think that it could be much lower since you're going to be ITM with a much higher frequency, but I'm not sure how much lower the benchmark would be. Even if you all have never encountered a question like this, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would be willing to analyze it and see if there are some ways to mathmatically come up with a reasonable estimate.

Two things:
1) If there is a better forum to ask, point me in that direction.
2) It's not just a random question; there's a site I play on with this payout structure. Also, I'd really like to be able to know how to solve this type of problem in order to do it myself in the future, as I'm often trying new formats. I could see this applying to MTTs as well, which could be useful, at least for me.

THANKS!
>>>ZIPPPY