View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Hey, I found a leak! Now what?

In first hand you can either call or raise on the flop. His bet into all those players shows some strength but youre not afraid of being reraised on the flop so raising is not a bad idea. Raising also might buy you some extra outs as a player closing out the action on the flop might call with second pair ace kicker and therefore your ace out is no longer an out as it might of been if you were able to get the pot heads up by raising on the flop. Raising might also buy you a free card. If you knew your opponent was very loose and would just call your flop raise then I might just decide to call and reevaluate the hand on the turn. If a K comes he might not suspect you hit your draw but if another club comes he might. If your opponent is not as observant as you are then you might be able to get him to lead the turn or get him to call your bet on the turn and of course if you miss your draw you take the free card always unless you have some monster read that if he checks the turn its weakness and hell fold to a bet by you. I have no idea why you didnt take the free card on the turn. Also you knew he was gonna call your bet so why make it as an underdog.

On the second hand why lead out on the flop with a gutshot, an over card, and a backdoor flush draw. When someone calls your bet like that preflop and two picture cards come you have to be just a little worried that he has you beat. I would just check the flop. If you were to bet the flop I think a smaller bet would be in order. Bet half the pot so now you only need to take it down 1 in every 3 times. There is about a 1 in 3 shot that hell flop a pair with two unpaired cards. If he has a pocket pair he would of raied with AA, KK, QQ, or JJ so he cant call your bet with two overcards out there if he had like TT, 99, 88, 77 and so on. There are no flush draws on board so you dont have to be afraid of that and the only open-ended straight draws on board are the T9 and the KT. He wouldnt of called a raise with either of those hands. He might of with T9s but thats not that likely. Now on the turn you got a great card. You now have the nut flush draw, an over card, and a gutshot. You are still drawing and are no longer a favorite so just check the hand as your opponent showed strength on the flop. If he doesnt have that good of a hand hell just check the turn behind you and youll get a free card. Your opponent however decides to bet. At this point you are getting rougly 3 to 1 odds on your money and you have 13 monster outs and an additional 3 not so bad outs. You are clearly getting the odds you need but if you raise and are reraised youll be shut out of the pot. Just call and let him make a mistake by giving you the odds to call. If he assumes you have a flush draw giving you 3 to 1 is not the ideal odds to give you. If the flush draw comes and you make a smallish bet on the river hell have to call you thus giving you the implied odds that you needed to call on the turn. If you felt that he was weak a much smaller raise could of accomplished the same thing. A huge raise like that might be trying to represent a 7. But remember that you raised preflop. What would you of raised with preflop if you had a 7. 77 maybe. Thats highely unlikely given that two sevens are on the board now. A7. Thats a possibility but with the two overcards it becomes slightly less probable but still probable. On the turn if you hit your 7 and it looked to be an unlikely holding wouldnt you of just led out after he called your potsized bet on the flop. The check raise is in my opinion a very weak move as if you lead out and are raised more of your opponents money is in the pot. If you check raise him only his initial bet is in the pot and now youre risking the chance of shutting him out of the pot. He doesnt believe you have a 7 and I wouldnt believe it either. You would of raised preflop with 76s or 87s but those are even more unlikely. If you had the 7 you would bet alot there cause its an unlikely holding but then at the same reasoning you would of lead out the turn cause it would be so unlikely that you held a 7 so in turn he was able to make a fairly easy deduction that you did not indeed have a 7.

On the last hand I dont see calling with that hand a terrible play. Its a loose low limit game and everyone has big stacks. Go ahead and call. Youll flop a good draw 1 in every 5 times so pay one dollar and possibly win 100 or more. If the table is passive then you can argue even more for this. I would personally fold the hand cause its hard to play drawing hands out of position. Im not necessarily afraid of the preflop action its just that once the flop comes my free card oppurtunities are almost gone and I have to be afraid that there will possibly be a live player behind me that can shut me out of the pot. On the flop I like your play alot. You are the next player to act after the button and your play must be taken seriously. Unfortunately for you you are at a table of maniacs and thus your play doesnt work as well. Your play did however get more money into a pot where you are close to being 50/50. Your play failed on the flop so just give up on the turn. Hope that you can get a free card or that youll be getting the right odds to call with your draw because your opponents did not bet the right amount on the turn. You could of accomplished the same thing you had set out to do on the turn by betting alot less. You showed strength on the flop and a potsized bet by you would show more stength than by vastly overbetting the pot. I have no idea why you continue to bet 5 times the pot for no reason.