Thread: COOKING SALMON
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: COOKING SALMON

[ QUOTE ]
Pan-searing or "saute" is a good way to prepare salmon. Please remember, that it does not have to be pink through and through. A little red is good. Salmon, like steak, has servable temps ranging from Rare to Well. Medium is the restaurant industry default (actually, well done is often the default). The secret to a good saute is in getting the nice golden brown on each side. Med-high heat to get the sear, and you can reduce the flame if more doneness is required.

Do you plan on breading it? This is nice.

Edit: Oh, wow, this is 3 hours old. How was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I learned to do it in Norway. Dredge the salmon very lightly in flour mixed with chopped dill weed (the mixture should just make a light dusting over all the surfaces of the salmon). Heat a little bit of butter and a little bit of olive oil almost to smoking. Sear both sides of the salmon until the flesh is cooked to the desired degree. The flour makes a nice light crust and keeps the salmon moist. Very easy, very good. I once cooked some wild Alaska salmon that my neighbor had caught the day before and flown home that way, and it was as good as anything I have ever tasted. I prefer to serve it with parsley buttered new potatoes and lightly steamed asparagus.