View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: overpair, huge overbet 6max 1/2

[ QUOTE ]
No turn check is not fine. If you're way behind, the only way you'll find out is with a bet here. And if you don't bet, you give the opponent the option of sh.itting all over you, which he did in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

the river over bet is quite rare. even more rare is the river overbet bluff.

I don't think the turn bet really tells you whether you are behind or not.

lets say you bet the turn. how much do you bet? lets say 2/3 pot. sounds reasonable. you bet 40, he calls. pot on river is 140 or so. he leads for 80, a little over 1/2 pot. you fold? you call?

notice how if you were behind, you would have dropped 120 extra that you didn't have to. whereas against most opponents who don't overbet the river with bluffs or made hands, after a checked turn, his hand range for leading the river is much greater allowing me to make more when I'm ahead and lose less when I'm behind.

also, if he is willing to push the river with a hand that you beat, how do you know he won't check raise all in on the turn with that same hand?

there was a post a while ago in MHNL that said that you shouldn't bet purely for information's sake.

you should bet or check based on pot control, value and any information you get as a byproduct of villain's reactions you take in but you should never bet purely for information.

remember, most of the time we aren't playing spiritrock like players here.