View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Getting frustrated with the money I make

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's more to do with how old you are and what kind of financial responsiblities you have. Most people on this board are young and would live very well on 50k here (for their age), and I live in a city that's more expensive than any american city apart from NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree. It's not that I doubt the cost of living where you are located, but if you can get the very same income independently of where you live, then it seems to make sense to choose a less expensive place, no?

Take a look briefly at this article. It provides a few figures on the US rental market. Let's suppose I am earning an average $20 an hour no matter where I live. It would seem kind of absurd, provided I had a choice, to select one of the listed 'most expensive' rental markets.

So yes, if you live in L.A. and living there is the most important thing to you, and 50K isn't cutting it, you'll have to find an alternative income. If on the other hand, your current source of income is more important (you like your job better) and L.A. is not the biggest deal, find a more feasible place to live.

Albert