View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: What\'s the flop raise for?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($8.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB calls $6, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to accomplish with the flop raise here?
1-fold out better hands?
2-charge draws?
3-find out where you are at in terms of your hand's strength?
4-other reasons (hopefully people can add those that i've forgotten)

IMO your flop raise didn't accomplish any of those objectives - it was too weak. if you are going to raise here it needs to be more.

I'm not sure what the best line here would be. I hope others can chime in. The line that I would think to use in this instance might be to simply call MP2's initial bet- and i think this is based on the fact that he is short-stacked. if i raise him a decent amount, then he is folding out hands that i beat (i.e. 99, 77, 66, etc.) and pushing with the hands that i lose to (any T, plus the boat) ... should he push after i raise it will be such a small amt back to me that i will undoubtedly call.

the bad thing about just calling his bet is that it is giving him and other people in the hand good odds to draw to a flush/str8. however, should a scare card hit and someone comes alive i can easily get away from the hand, not being extremely committed.

i think the thing that is making it tricky for me to think about this hand is the fact that MP2 is short-stacked and if i raise he only plays when he has me beat ... but when i dont raise he will put in more $$$ both when he has me beat AND when he is beat (i.e. 88,99,draw that doesnt get there)

i realize the line i suggested seems really weak- i'm having a tuff time making heads or tails of this situation. i hope others can comment on this

[/ QUOTE ]

With the flop raise I wanted to get heads up with the bettor and knock out anybody with a flush draw or overcards. The bettor (MP2) actually folded but BB called after checking.

I really feel like I played the hand okay on the flop. I felt like if I raised any bigger and was re-raised I would have a tougher decision to make. With the bet I made, I could get away from the hand if he re-raised me or if he fired hard at the turn (which he did). So this is what brought me to my predicament of calling or folding on the turn.