View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

Does anyone else think that the OP is asking the wrong question? Perhaps he should be asking, "Is playing 1/2 NL a viable option for a living?" Hopefully, this isn't the OP's goal at the end of the road; sure, only you can determine what you want to do with your life, and don't let anyone tell you NOT to do what you love to do if you can make a living at it. But you've got to ask yourself if you're ok with putting a ceiling on your income. There isn't another bearable occupation out there where you could make, say $25-50,000? I don't see how you could make anything more than that playing 1-2 NL for a living.

Perhaps I'm just biased by the belief that I could make more money than that doing something other than playing 1-2 NL. Truthfully, I think this month's magazine addresses this subject well, between Dr. Al and Ed Miller. Who knows what the tables will be like in 5 years? Right now I'm a college student and can get by making <$10,000 a year. But what about having kids? Dental insurance? Health insurance? Mortgage payments? I don't see any way you could put the weight of a house on a 1/2 NL table. I'm probably rambling right now. I apologize if I am. But sometimes I wonder if "going pro" is an option that too many people think is realistic.

-ryan