View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Folded to me in LP with a maniac in the blind

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's raising 50%, and will bet every single street regardless of what falls, I don't mind playing all-in mentality poker. I find two starting cards that I like, and get ready to see a showdown (think big cards -- suited connected things don't do well in this situation because you can't get in cheaply and you'll need to show down a made hand to win).

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron, I was thinking much along the same lines, hence why I auto-called these down. The question is though, how low should I open-raise if I know he's gonna 3-bet me 80% of the time? Like I said, I value A-high for showdown value, so I'd probably go down to A6 here, but should I still be open-raising K9? QJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would go as low as any ace, K7+, QT+, and all pocket pairs. This is a total of about 400 hands (about 30%) if I counted right. If I can't raise it, I'll fold it since it sounds like he's not going to let you slide in for a cheap flop. He has taken all the postflop skill out of the game, so everything rests on preflop skill. And the only preflop skill here is hand selection.

Edit: In my mind, the reason to raise is to make sure you get heads up. When he 3-bets, I'll cap only the better hands (AT+, KJ+, 88+ = 10%).