Thread: Rogue waves
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Rogue waves

I like your post and I sympathize with your feelings.

However, I've had some thoughts lately about split-pot game tourney play.

This is a fact: most good Omaha8 and Stud8 cash game players are horrible tournaments players. Why? Because they don't adjust to the escalating blinds very well. The fact is, once the blinds get up it's a completely different game that more closely resembles pot-limit omaha8. "Premium" hands just don't come along often enough. Big pairs and with decent side cards go up in value. You are looking to steal blinds and get involved in heads up hands with a good high. I've watched it time and time again. The good cash game players play the first few rounds like a cash game (as they should). Then, there stacks starts to dwindle as they wait and wait for A2XX (xx= good side cards). Then, they finally get it and a more aggressive player that has been attacking the blinds and playing hands that would be insta-mucks in a cash game flops a set, gets them to chase a low and busts them out. Obviously tourney structure is going to be a big factor (15 min levels as opposed 1hour levels). But in the typical online turbo tourney there just isn't time to wait.

This is totally off-topic but it just occured to me as I was reading your post.