View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: After the flop odds/after the turn odds

I think the only confusion you are experiencing is the difference between immediate pot odds and effective pot odds. Effective pot odds take into consideration your odds if you are planning to see the hand all the way to the river. Technically, effective odds are your odds with more than one card to come, but that usually means seeing the river in hold'em.

I think taking a hand like KQo to far is a moderate leak for some players. Remember, you can hit a pair on the river and still lose.

Against a large field, I'd rarely take KQo to the river unimproved. Your mileage may vary in a shorthanded game, of course. In that situation, KQo can win unimproved.

With a hand like this, I will often call a single flop bet to see the turn, but that's usually going to be it for me if I miss. I'd have to be headsup and have a good read on my opponent to push it.

So, I don't think your use of immediate pot odds is too bad, really. It's when you're on a strong draw that you start thinking about the effective odds, in my opinion.

For more on effective odds, see Sklansky's Theory Of Poker.

Regards,

T