View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: The heat is on. Fox News special review

[ QUOTE ]
When talking about the fight for global warming they thought it was important enough to spend over 20 minutes (guestimating) interviewing the director of "the day after tomorrow" Linky and how he replaces the lightbulbs in his house with energy efficient bulbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacki, I love these posts.

Anyway, here's a related mini-eco story:

About six months ago a crew of six workmen show up to make my apartment more "energy efficient".

They replace the foyer overhead light with energy efficient lights. I used this maybe twenty times per month for ten seconds at a time. Since they put it in I use this maybe twenty times per month for ten seconds at a time.

They replace the overhead fan lights in the dining room. I used to use this light an hour or so a month, now I never use it (the replacement lights don't go to full brightness for several minutes - I used to use the lights when reading fine print).

They replace the vanity lights in the bedroom vanity area. My girlfriend, who used these about three times a week for an hour, made me change them to brand new lights because the light they cast was so ugly.

They replace an overhead hall light that I never used unless I turned it on by accident. I still never use it.

They put in a new programmable thermostat. I live in California and never turn on the primary heat (I do use a space heater in the one room I hang in).

Of course the owner probably gets a tax credit. With the savings maybe he can buy a new SUV. But the workers who put in the bulbs probably arrived in an old run down Chevy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

~ Rick