View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: absolute is bs

I told Absolute months ago what the problem likely was as I have run into resource hogs of my own. They are not predictable, but you can insert forced garbage collections into your code to free up resources that are no longer used. Don't ask me why it works this way, but it does. Having done a lot of Window's and .NET programming, my perception, if I was debugging my own process, is that their software fails to release resources after it is done with them and instead of re-using old ones, it makes new ones when it needs a simlar resource later. Eventually, the application eats up all your available memory. This causes it to page swap to any virtual drive you have set up which drasticly reduces the performance of the whole computer. If you want to see for yourself, open up your task manager, click on the processes tab and make sure you have the Mem Usage column visible. As you play at Absolute you will see the mem usage increase. When you no longer have enough pysical memory to run all the apps you start page swapping. The more you page swap, the slower you get. I have found, at least on my machine, that if you shut down Absolute you may either reboot or wait about 5 minutes for Windows to purge the resources used that were not properly released by Absolute's application.

$0.02
Vern